Achieving straight hair at home can be incredibly difficult. And while there are plenty of popular, commercial options out there to help you achieve your straight-hair dreams, the majority of them rely on harsh chemicals that can strip the hair of its natural oils and cause serious damage over time. Luckily, there are plenty of ways to get the straight look you want without doing any damage to your hair with these seven natural ways to straighten your hair at home.
1) Use Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a succulent plant that’s often used as a home remedy for skin conditions like sunburns and rashes. But did you know that it can also be used to straighten your hair? Aloe vera contains enzymes that break down the protein bonds in your hair, which makes it a great natural way to straighten your hair. Plus, it’s loaded with nutrients that can help nourish and condition your hair. To use aloe vera to straighten your hair, simply apply it to damp hair and comb it through from root to tip. Then, blow dry your hair as usual. You can also add a few drops of essential oils to the aloe vera gel for extra conditioning. And if you have curly hair, give this home remedy a try!
2) Add Amla Powder to Coconut Oil
Amla powder is derived from the Indian gooseberry, and it’s a popular hair straightening method in India. You can find amla powder at your local Indian grocery store, or online. To use, mix together equal parts amla powder and coconut oil. Apply the mixture to your hair, starting at the roots and working your way down. Rinse with warm water after leaving it on for 30 minutes. Repeat this process once a week for best results. For more intense results, follow up with an overnight coconut oil treatment. Simply wrap your head in plastic wrap and cover the whole thing with warmed coconut oil before going to bed. Be sure to cleanse thoroughly the next morning so you don’t have any residue left over.
3) Use Baking Soda as Shampoo
Baking soda is a great alternative to shampoo for straightening your hair. It’s gentle and won’t strip your hair of its natural oils, which can actually help to straighten it. Plus, it’s super affordable and easy to find! Here’s how to use it:
1. Wet your hair in the shower and massage a small amount of baking soda into your scalp.
2. Rinse thoroughly and follow with your regular conditioner.
3. Repeat this process once or twice a week until you see results. Continue doing this for at least two weeks after you notice that your hair has gotten straighter.
If you want an even more effective treatment, make sure to do the following before using baking soda as shampoo:
1) Drink plenty of water throughout the day
2) Stay away from processed foods and sugar as much as possible
3) Avoid hot showers (or keep them very short) because they’ll dry out your locks and cause them to frizz and curl up.
4) Use a clarifying shampoo every few days to remove buildup from styling products that could be weighing down your strands and making them appear less straight.
5) Blow-dry your hair with a brush rather than with just air so that it becomes smooth without being fried by heat.
6) Get professional treatments like Keratin treatments if all else fails
4) Avocado Pack as Conditioner
Avocados are a natural source of fatty acids, which help to moisturize and protect your hair. When used as a conditioner, they can help to smooth and straighten your hair. To use an avocado pack as a conditioner, mash up one avocado and apply it to damp hair. Leave it on for 20 minutes, then rinse it out with cold water. You can do this once a week. The oils from the avocado will penetrate your hair follicles, giving you straighter strands. It also helps the protein in the egg get into the follicle better than just using egg whites alone.
5) Castor Oil Pack for Deep Conditioning
Castor oil is one of the most popular oils in the natural hair community. Its benefits include being a natural emollient and moisturizer, as well as promoting hair growth. To use, mix together equal parts castor oil and another oil like coconut or olive oil. Massage into your scalp and hair, then cover with a shower cap or plastic wrap. Then shampoo and condition as usual after letting it sit for at least 30 minutes. You can do this once a week for best results.
6) Use Olive Oil as Leave-In Conditioner
If you have ever used olive oil as a cooking ingredient, then you know it can do wonders for your hair as well. The fatty acids present in olive oil can help to coat the hair shaft and protect it from heat damage. Plus, it has antioxidant properties that can help to keep your hair looking healthy. To use olive oil as a leave-in conditioner, simply apply it to damp hair and comb it through. You can also add a few drops to your favorite conditioner to give it a boost.
7) Banana Mask for Strong and Silky Hair
1. Start by mashing up two ripe bananas in a bowl. 2. Add two tablespoons of honey and one tablespoon of olive oil to the mixture and stir until combined. 3. Apply the mask to your hair from root to tip and let it sit for 20 minutes. 4. Rinse the mask out with cold water and shampoo and condition as usual. 5. With just one treatment, your hair will be softer, shinier, and straighter! If you have long or thick hair, this will be an intensive process since you will need more than one banana.